Hurricane Harvey Relief: Legitimate Ways to Help From the Tristate Area
With news of Hurricane Harvey dominating most major media outlets nationwide, it’s difficult not be overwhelmed by the recent disaster, especially with memories of Hurricane Sandy still fresh in the minds of many living in the tristate area. Doing the right thing is one of our core values at Kraus Marketing, so we have decided to donate $100 to the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund on top of several personal donations amongst our staff. Want to help, but not sure how? We have compiled this list of legitimate ways that you can help support relief efforts as well as information on how to avoid charity scams.
Sharing about any of these organizations helps more than you may think. Use tags like #hurricaneharveyreliefchallenge #houstonstrong to be part of this important conversation
- The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund: Official fund created by the Mayor of Houston
- Houston Food Bank
- United Way of Greater Houston: Text UWFLOOD to 41444 or visit their website to donate
- American Red Cross: Text HARVEY to 90999 to donate $10 or visit their website for more options
- Americares: Brings medicine and supplies to victims of national disasters. Every $10 donated provides $200 in aid.
- Save the Children: Providing family-friendly relief supplies, child-friendly spaces, and counseling for both short and long-term relief.
- GoFundMe: GoFundMe has created a dedicated page will all Hurricane Harvey related campaigns in one spot
Mail-In Donation Items
- The Texas Diaper Bank: Diapers can be mailed to: 5415 Bandera Road, Suite 504, San Antonio, Tex., 78238.
Perhaps one of the saddest parts of disasters like this is knowing how many family pets are left behind during evacuation. St. Hubert’s Animal Welfare Center Airlifted approximately 78 dogs rescued from Texas into Morristown this week. Donations, volunteering, fostering, and adoption is needed! Dogs from this trip will also be help at the shelters below:
- Animal Alliance in Belle Mead
- Animal Welfare Association in Voorhees
- Delaware Humane Association in Wilmington, Delaware
- Father John’s Animal House in Lafayette
- Humane Society for Greater Nashua in New Hampshire
- Monmouth County SPCA in Eatontown
- Mount Pleasant Animal Shelter in East Hanover
- New Hampshire SPCA in Stratham, New Hampshire
- Somerset County Animal Shelter in Bridgewater
- SPCA Serving Erie County in West Seneca, New York
- Toronto Humane Society in Toronto, Canada
- Voorhees Animal Orphanage in Voorhees
Don’t be Scammed
If you’d like to go for a smaller charity, be sure to do your research. Visit Charity Navigator to make sure their efforts are legitimate and that as much of your donation as possible is going where you want it to.